Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services carried out a whole-campus review in 2012, taking into account the suitability of existing buildings and the re-design of vacated areas following the move of residents into Anna Gaynor House from the original 1879 building. From this review it was agreed to prioritise the development of a new Palliative Care Unit and associated outpatient and community services.
The current Palliative Care unit consists of a mixture of single and four-bedded rooms, which is not ideal for ensuring the dignity and privacy for patients and their families at end-of-life.
The new Unit will have the same number of beds (36), but each will be in an en-suite, single room design. At 31 square metres, each of the rooms will provide sufficient space and comfort for patients and their family members, as well as the provision of care by staff. Each room will have access to an outdoor ‘courtyard’ area, giving pleasant views into landscaped gardens. There is also a social hub for patients and families to relax in, providing a ‘change of scene’ from the rooms should they wish.
The Community Palliative Care Teams and the Day Hospice areas will be developed into a more appropriately designed Unit to provide a comprehensive community service to palliate care patients.
Attached are draft plans which will give you an idea of what the new Unit will look like.