On completion of this course you will be in position to;
- Recognise the anatomy and physiology of the brain.
- Name the main types of dementia.
- Describe person-centred care and appreciate how the care environment, carer attitudes and behaviours influence the person with dementia.
- Understand the need to focus on the retained abilities of the person with dementia.Identify interventions, which enhance the quality of life and the quality of care for people with dementia.
- Understand the different types of communication and the role of communication in addressing behaviour that is challenging to staff.
This intensive training will also help you, and your organisation, to prepare for the HIQA thematic inspection on Dementia Care.