At the end of this programme participants will be able to:
- Recognise the anatomy and physiology of the brain.
- Name the main types of dementia.
- Describe person centred care and appreciate how the care environment, carer
attitudes and behaviours influence the person with dementia.
- Understand the need to focus on the retained abilities of the person with dementia.
- Identify interventions, which enhance the quality of life and the quality of care for
people with dementia.
- Understand the different types of communication and the role of communication in
addressing behaviour that is challenging to staff.
- Appreciate the benefits of providing activities for people with dementia.
- Understand the need for adaptation of approach for this client group.
- Give consideration to safety issues.
- Assess, facilitate and evaluate involvement in activity programme.
- Appreciate the role of documentation in this process.
- Plan programmes for residents taking into account their individual ability.
The intensive training will also help you and your organisation to prepare for the HIQA thematic inspection on Dementia Care.
For further information please enter your details below